Who does not love a good pancake? It is a simple basic breakfast meal. A staple for many a weekend brunch. In light of this we have but together a basic buttermilk pancake recipe you can make your own. You can add berries to your batter or perhaps some orange zest or cinnamon. The possibilities are endless.
- 4 eggs
- 375ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 50g butter
- Olive oil
- Additional butter for frying
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs ans sugar until thick.
- Add milk and butter, mixing to combine.
- Slowly add the sifted flour to the egg mixture.
- Mix until smooth. (You will need to scrape the sides of the bowl down from time to time).
- Add a layer of oil to a hot fry-pan, with a small knob of butter.
- Pour the batter into the pan stopping when the desired size of pancake has been reached.
- Leave the pancake to cook, until you see the surface bubble. When the bubbles are all through the pancake flip it onto the other side. Cook for a few more minutes, the bottom should be golden.
We served our pancakes with a choice of condiments. Lemon curd, lemon wedges and sugar or coffee coconut sauce.